atw: Re: Word 2002 numbering icon crash

  • From: Terry D <morgan4four@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 12:19:20 +1000 (EST)

contract and now, if I
> select some sort of formatting at the beginning of a
Word doc (eg
> Heading 1), enter text, hit <enter> (which then
auto-launches Normal as
> the 'next' style) then hit the numbering icon on the
toolbar, Word
> freezes/crashes.

Hi Alex,

This could be a really big topic on styles and
numbering, so I'll attempt to be brief. Here are some
generic tips for more stable operation of Word.

Make sure you're patched up to SP3.

Next thing I would suggest is that you remove the
default numbering icon from your toolbar (via
Tools\Customize) and use specific numbering styles for
which you can create simple shortcut keys (I use Alt
N1, Alt N2...). (see James's email from last Thursday,
but there are simpler ways of numbering if that is too
time consuming for you. As Michael suggested, the MVP
site has lots of good info.) I'd also remove the
default bullet and the indent/outdent icons. These
should all have their own styles.

Also, what version of Word was on your last computer?
Templates, in particular, did not seem to progress
well to XP. (I think one version of Word was worse
than the others, but can't recall which.) Anyway, you
need to check your style formats and make sure the
'next paragraph' is what you want it to be. This may
be fairly time consuming if what should be related
styles are not based on a source style.

**Also, make sure you turn OFF the 'Keep track of
formatting' option on the Tools\Options\Edit tab.**

If you do that, you can make changes to a style, then
put the cursor in the style name field on the toolbar
and hit Enter. This opens the Modify Style dialog.
Accept the changes will apply the changes to all
instances of that style. You CAN'T do this if you're
tracking formatting. Instead, Word will create a new
style for *every* modification you make, including if
you bold or italicise a word within a paragraph. After
a while, that will make the document unstable and lead
to more crashes.

HTH

Cheers,
Terry