atw: Re: Structured writing training

  • From: "HALL Bill" <Bill.HALL@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 16:31:40 +1000 (EST)

Kirsty,

Your situation sounds like the situation we faced around 1995 in the
ANZAC Ship Project when we had to start authoring in SGML to meet client
requirements. Some of us had taken individual training from Allette
(Sydney based) before then. For our initial group training we used the
people that have become Absolute Data Group (Queensland & Canberra
based) to bring us up to speed - and found this to be very good - at
least to the extent that it gave us a solid platform for continuing
on-the-job training. Probably either organisation would be happy to give
you a group price for on-site training for 6. Both organisations have
abundant skills, and I am sure there are also other trainers who could
fill the need.

Subsequently, once we had a core of genuinely skilled people, we have
written our own training materials and have done our training in-house.
The only references used were the on-line help (FrameMaker) and our
existing systems. Given that write exclusively to client mandated DTD's=20

Things to consider - Are DTDs provided/mandated by your client(s) or are
you seeking to do your own thing from scratch? Who actually needs to
know how to build DTDs, schemas, vs who only needs to know how to author
in the environment? If your main need is the latter, the training
requirements for structured authoring are actually very modest -
especially if you are working in a content management environment.
Basically all the author needs to understand is the hierarchical logic
of structured documentation and how to type text. Their subject matter
knowledge is crucial, but given that style, etc. is mandated by the
structure, very little training is required in the authoring
environment.

I hope this helps.

|=20
|=20
| Hi,
| I'm curious to hear from others who have implemented single=20
| sourcing or=20
| content management in a smallish team. There are 6 of us who=20
| are about to=20
| embark on a single sourcing project, which we are hoping will=20
| eventually=20
| encompass a wide range of documents and deliverables. Some of=20
| us have had=20
| some form of structured writing or similar training in the=20
| past, but not=20
| all of us have.=20
| We will all need to understand structured writing for the=20
| project to be=20
| successful. At the moment I'm deliberating whether we'll do something=20
| in-house or try to get someone in to do this kind of training.=20
|=20
| Some specific questions that I'd like people to provide their=20
| thoughts/experiences on:
| Have you done any structured writing training in-house? If=20
| so, what sort=20
| of references did you use?
| Have you gotten a training company/trainer in to train on structured=20
| writing? If so, who did you get , and was it worthwhile?
|=20
| Thanks a lot,
| KT
|=20
| P.S. I'm happy to receive responses directly if you don't=20
| want to commit=20
| your response to the archives.=20
|=20