atw: Re: Senior tech writer position

  • From: geoff@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 09:46:45 +1000

Not everyone will have the same list, but this is the list I work to.  Not
prioritised.

- excellent writing skills
- planning and analysis of documentation requirements )usually design
specifications used by junior writers)
- mentoring junior writers
- very good/excellent tool skills (seniors solve problems, they don't create
them...)
- develop processes and methodologies to improve productivity
- must know (or *very* quickly learn) all internal processes - not just in the
writing team, but with development, support, implementation, sales, etc
- permanently work on multiple projects, with almost no down time when swapping
between projects
- get interrupted *constantly*, yet still be highly productive
- must be able to sit through lots of really boring meetings that have no
relevance to current projects (depends on the pointy hairness level of the
boss...)
- take responsibility for mistakes made by juniors (can reflect on your ability
as a mentor...)
- many other minor bits that take too long to document (sorry)

Cheers,

Geoff