atw: Re: Request advice on transition to Tech Writing

  • From: "Christine Kent" <c.bkent@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 11:48:44 +1000

Hi Don

Don't be put off - the market is very buoyant, and half the employed tech
writers out there are either illiterate or brain dead.  So design yourself a
stunning CV, beautifully formatted using a word template and styles - you
would be surprised how many TWs have shocking CVS.  I have turned down every
applicant for roles I have advertised because the CV was so bad.  So it's
your first chance to prove you can write - so use it.

Then apply for EVERY SINGLE job you see advertised on SEEK, JobNet, Career
One, My Career etc.  Apply for the same job through numerous agencies till
you get one who will talk to you.  Insist that the agency DOES NOT reformat
your CV - which means they will wreck it.  When the people doing the
recruiting have ploughed through all the imaginably bad CVs, and get to
yours - they will be desperate to find anyone who is both literate and
stable - and you are clearly both.

Information Mapping is the best course you could have done - even without
the actual IM template, the way they teach you to structure a document still
stands.  As long as you can work with heading levels, and know what a
sentence is, you have enough skills to get started as a TW.

But - why oh why do you want to be a TW?  There is very little in the way of
career path in TW either.  Business Analysis work would be far better and
offer more options.  BAs tend to be recruited from IT backgrounds and are
barely literate, so you will star.

All the best, CK