atw: Re: Print to multiple page sizes in Distiller?

  • From: "Michael Granat" <mgranat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 14:16:03 +1000

Hi Naomi (Kramer).

Some suggestions.

First save / back up your working Word file and close Word.

Set your system default Windows printer (driver) as the Acrobat
Distiller.  (You can always choose another from with any application,
on the fly, as needed.)

Open the Acrobat Distiller application.

Look for the default page size option and set the measure (Units:)
to centimetres.  Width: 21.0 x Height: 29.7 for A4 and save with
whatever options you require as a new Distiller joboptions file
for your A4 printouts (with a file name of NKA4_001.joboptions
or similar).

Next, do much the same to create a new Distiller joboptions file
for your US Letter printouts, by changing the default page size
to Width: 21.59 x Height: 27.94cm. and save as a file name of
NKUSLetter_001.joboptions or similar.

That should give you an optimized set of Distiller defaults
that you can select to suit your job type, which you can pick from
the File > Print dialog, Properties options, when using the Distiller
print driver, depending upon the proposed page size in use in Word.

You might, however, need to make an A4 and a US Letter version
of your Word file, with sections sized accordingly.

I would advise against simply using Word's shrink to fit options,
as pagination and cross references can become a mess.

Remember that the page size you set in Word will override
the Distiller, but making a customized Distiller set-up for
each page type should result in a better output when the
page size settings in Word are a match.

Ultimately, however, the source printing application overrides
the Distiller, in terms of page size, not the other way around.

Hope that helps.

Michael

Michael E. Granat
T/as Write Ideas
Technical Communicator
Without Prejudice. E&OE.

"I have made this letter longer than usual,
only because I have not had the time to make it shorter."
- Blaise Pascal