atw: Re: Powerpoint to Web

  • From: Michael Granat <megranat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 14:59:38 +1000

Hi Deborah (C).

You write that "Saving as PDF gives a pretty unusable result too.".

I presume that you mean simply "printing" to create a PDF, as MS
PowerPoint won't actually "Save As..." PDF with Acrobat installed.
(Unlike what Office can do with PDF Converter Pro installed.)

Probably because that doesn't carry any of the hyperlinks with it, which
would have to relate to real links of file inside your Web server that the
external audience could activate when browsing the site.

If you have an updated Acrobat 7 or 5 Professional with their latest
patches installed (please tell me that you do not have Acrobat 6 Pro,
which is an absolute DOG of an unstable application) and ensure that
its PDFMaker MS Office macros are installed, then you should be able
to let Acrobat generate a file that includes usable hyperlinks to whatever
you want.  In Acrobat 7, you could even capture and include Web pages
in the PDF and manually cross-link to them within that file.

Of course, ScanSoft / Nuance PDF Converter Professional (now my
PDF tool of choice) could do this too.  Faster and more reliably at a
quarter to a fifth the price but, if you already have Acrobat 7, just be sure
to free up all spare system resources and deactivate all screen and power
savers before heading off to lunch.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Michael Granat
Write Ideas
www.writeideas.com.au

At 12:25 7/08/2006, you wrote:
Greetings All,

I'm looking for some ideas on a PowerPoint problem.

We have a series of training packages developed in PowerPoint and we need to get them on the web. Even though all the staff here have PowerPoint, the client would like the packages to be in a web format like HTML or Flash. The packages contain PowerPoint "action buttons" that do things like jump to another slide and open a URL etc.

I can use the inbuilt Save as HTML feature, but then I end up with something that has frames and a whole folder of supporting files that are needed.

I can import the slideshow into Macromedia Captivate, but then the action buttons don't work and they'd have to be rebuilt.

Saving as PDF gives a pretty unusable result too.

So - has anyone done this sort of thing successfully before? Does anyone know of a free (or very cheap) tool that would convert PowerPoint slides to Flash or HTML without frames?

TIA. Deborah :)

"subscribe" in the Subject field.