atw: Re: Limiting word count

  • From: Elizabeth Fullerton <Elizabeth_Fullerton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 14:01:37 +1100

Figured it out (well, looked it up) - for Save and Save As (probably shouldn't
attach them to Normal.dot!)

I considered intercepting document close, but they might want to come back to
it later to fix it up, so we don't necessarily want to prevent them from
closing the document. This way at least they know they are over the limit.

Good point about the para count.

Here are the new and improved versions... (yes, the MaxCount=10 is so i didn't
have to write a whole 200 words to test it)

Sub FileSave()
'
' FileSave Macro
' Saves the active document or template
'
    Dim MaxCount As Integer
    MaxCount = 10

    If ActiveDocument.Words.Count > (MaxCount +
ActiveDocument.Paragraphs.Count) Then

        MsgBox "You have " & (ActiveDocument.Words.Count -
ActiveDocument.Paragraphs.Count) & " words, and you are only allowed " &
MaxCount & "."
    End If

    ActiveDocument.Save
End Sub

Sub FileSaveAs()
'
' FileSaveAs Macro
' Saves a copy of the document in a separate file
'
    Dim MaxCount As Integer
    MaxCount = 10

    If ActiveDocument.Words.Count > (MaxCount +
ActiveDocument.Paragraphs.Count) Then

        MsgBox "You have " & (ActiveDocument.Words.Count -
ActiveDocument.Paragraphs.Count) & " words, and you are only allowed " &
MaxCount & "."

    Dialogs(wdDialogFileSaveAs).Show
End Sub

Regards