atw: Re: JAVA (for this dummy)

  • From: "Margaret Parker" <margp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 00:11:05 +1100

The Java people have their own pretty neat tutorial - offers a lot of
different paths (they call them "trails") depending on the experience you've
had and what you need to know. The story behind its development is a good
read in itself.

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/index.html

Or the New to Java programming centre has lots of articles to get you going,
or at least help you work out what you don't know and/or don't need to know.
http://java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/new2java/overview.html

I have found API documentation a bit frustrating - developers seem to have a
completely different slant on life to the rest of humanity - like most
engineers :-) - things you think are totally insignificant are of vital
importance to them and vice versa - and they seem to think in leaps and
bounds, despite the logic of what they do, so it boils down to being the
same as any other doco job - better to talk to the users and get the good
oil, and then try to impose a bit of discipline over the sloppy way their
comments are usually written rather than hope to acquire the right skills
and perspective in adequate depth yourself - unless you are that sort of
person deep down anyway. If you are I think you'll find java very easy to
pick up and will feel like the proverbial pig in paradise in no time.

Margaret

I need to add Java recognition skills to my repertoire in preparation for
writing/editing comments in APIs. ...
Any comments or suggestions?