atw: Re: JAVA (for this dummy)

  • From: "Fullerton, Elizabeth" <Elizabeth.Fullerton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 08:57:21 +1100

I learned Java from "Thinking in Java" by Bruce Eckel.

You used to be able to read the whole thing from the web - this was some =
time ago, but he seems to still have a website and the book is =
downloadable (not sure if free - it was when I acquired it - I then went =
out and purchased it, because for real reading I prefer paper). I was =
learning programming at the time, so I don't know how good it is from =
the point of view of a non-programmer. He did kind of take you by the =
hand and lead you gently through the woods, which was good for me.

If you feel like venturing into actually running code, you can download =
the Java SDK for free from the Sun site.