atw: Re: Is MS Word really this bad?

  • From: Bob Trussler <bob.trussler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 23:06:52 +1000

Geoffrey,
This kind of text that updates can be done using fields and properties and
so on.
File / Properties.  At the dialog box, click Summary tag.
Then complete a few text fields, that you cannot rename,  plonk these fields
where you need them in the document, and update - go to each one and press
F9, OR to update every field in the doc, Ctrl+A, then F9.
Alternatively, you can click the Custom tag and make your own fileds (or
create if you are a god-like creature) and use them ... Ummm ... somehow.

I don't use it much because it is not intuitive and therefore the users tend
to upset it or break it too often. It is also not in your face and so they
don't bother.

Does Ctrl+A (Select All) then F9 update everything?   It seemed to work in a
quick test.

Bob T

--
Bob Trussler