atw: Re: I simply don't believe it! "Microsoft granted patent for double-click"

  • From: "Peter G. Martin" <peter.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 14:33:02 +1000

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 13:38:55 +1000, Michael Granat wrote:
>Never heard of Xerox PARC, guys?
>

><http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/02/1086058889577.html?fr=
om=3D3D
>top5=3D
>>

>It seems that the plagiarists keep winning simply because they=
 have
>the money to do so.
>
>Outrageous!

Don't look now, but it appears that our projected "Free Trade"
agreement with the US would apply patent protection here to this
travesty, along with the even-more-outrageous "patents" applying=
body parts -- also known as components of the human genome...

Without getting the right to vote in the US, we are not only
committed to a few of their foreign affairs failures (aka wars,
expeditions, call them what you will), but also subject to the
vagaries of under-educated government legislators, officials and=

judges who wouldn't know an algorithm from an alternator.

(That is the country where one state legislated to set the value=
 of
pi )

Mind you, if the US in turn recognizes the Australian patent on=
 the
wheel, as claimed and registered with IP Austalia by John Keogh=
 in
July 2001, perhaps we might have a modicum of revenge or=
 retribution
(or moola)!

But swapping our stupidity for their doesn't strike me as quite=
 the
right answer.

There is something basically stupid, to my mind, if we accept
limitations implied in patent laws in other countries as a=
 simple
matter of course.      Imagine for a moment, what further=
 wonders
Imelda Marcos might have been able to achieve if the Philippines=
 had
had a similar free trade agreement with Australia....

The lever -- the shoe tree ...

-Peter G. Martin, Technical writer, Proxima Technology