atw: OT Re: I simply don't believe it!Hang on to your genes!

  • From: MHT <runfox@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 21:14:16 -0500

Peter,
A <body part> patent is the LEAST of your worries:

#16 Human Genome Project Opens the Door to Ethnically Specific Bioweapens

http://www.projectcensored.org/publications/2001/16.html
Washington Free Press

And BTW, there are many of us who are not happy with the current situation
in the USofA.
Money can also manipulate the vote and buy a presidency.
And somewhere in Texas a village is missing its idiot.
Minnesota Mary

At 02:33 PM 6/4/04 +1000, you wrote:
>Don't look now, but it appears that our projected "Free Trade"
>agreement with the US would apply patent protection here to this
>travesty, along with the even-more-outrageous "patents" applying=
>body parts -- also known as components of the human genome...
>
>Without getting the right to vote in the US, we are not only
>committed to a few of their foreign affairs failures (aka wars,
>expeditions, call them what you will), but also subject to the
>vagaries of under-educated government legislators, officials and=
>
>judges who wouldn't know an algorithm from an alternator.
>
>(That is the country where one state legislated to set the value=
> of
>pi )
>
>Mind you, if the US in turn recognizes the Australian patent on=
> the
>wheel, as claimed and registered with IP Austalia by John Keogh=
> in
>July 2001, perhaps we might have a modicum of revenge or=
> retribution
>(or moola)!
>
>But swapping our stupidity for their doesn't strike me as quite=
> the
>right answer.
>
>There is something basically stupid, to my mind, if we accept
>limitations implied in patent laws in other countries as a=
> simple
>matter of course.      Imagine for a moment, what further=
> wonders
>Imelda Marcos might have been able to achieve if the Philippines=
> had
>had a similar free trade agreement with Australia....
>
>The lever -- the shoe tree ...
>
>-Peter G. Martin, Technical writer, Proxima Technology

"Well-behaved women rarely make history."

                -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich