atw: Re: Humbled [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

  • From: Howard.Silcock@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 10:18:17 +1000

This is a really interesting example, Kathy. When you look at it, it does
seem ridiculous, I agree. 'Humble' means 'conscious of one's failings'
(Collins dictionary) - so why on earth would you feel humble (or
'humbled', which presumably means that someone made you that way) when
you've just received massive acclaim for your achievements?

Yet there is one way I can see a glimmer of sense. Sometimes being
recognised for an an achievement can propel you into a new league and make
you aware that people are going to expect a lot more of you - which in
turn can make you more aware of the ways you might let them down.

I don't know if that's what these people are really thinking, but it could
be. Or they just could be ignorant.

Howard

"Kathy Bowman" <Kathy.Bowman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: austechwriter-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
09/09/2008 09:45 AM
Please respond to
austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
atw: Humbled [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Have you noticed  that every sports star these days is 'humbled' when they
achieve a milestone or  receive an award? Has the meaning of this word
changed? I'm not sure what they  mean when they say it, and I suspect they
don't know either.
Hmmm, I hope this is  not sour grapes because my team (Port Adelaide) did
not make it to the finals  this year!
cheers
Kath