atw: Re: How to Have a Rational Discussion

  • From: Bill Parker <renew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 20:00:30 +0800

Well, if anyone in WA wants to do some Morris Dancing, let me know. We generally ignore most of this funding stuff and get on with. We've been at for 37 years. Only twice told to bugger off. So put on the bells and the baldricks wake up the musoes and away we go! Make sure your Shire does what? Yours ? Mine? Listen mate, you want a swipe round the head with pig's bladder?

Bill

On 24/06/2011, at 7:52 PM, Nick Murray wrote:

On 29/04/2011 1:04 PM, Christine Kent wrote:

Dog walking must be the most underfunded recreation in Australia.
Put leash on dog.
Walk out door.

What needs funding?
Dog owners/walkers have become public enemy number 1, and they (WE ) lack a voice because we are mostly old and mostly female. The end result of this is that we have nowhere left to “run” our dogs off leash.

The places left where we can run them include:
- Places so isolated or dangerous no woman in her right mind would go there. - Places so sufficiently isolated and unpoliced that the men with their killer dogs go there, so we dare not take our dogs there. - Places so ugly or polluted that no human being in their right minds would want to go there. - Places so treacherous in terms of steepness or blackberryness that they are impossible for older people or older dogs to access.
<snip>
You can win your battle to save your little bit of paradise if you address their real issues rather than their stated issues. Make sure your shire provides good parks and tracks for dog walkers and the issue will go away.

A rational discussion entails more than for and against a proposition; it entails respecting all needs and finding solutions.
So when a group of people try to preserve something (often at their own cost) they find value in, and other people find it attractive, those other people automatically have a right to do anything they want in it? Perhaps its attractiveness lies in that dogs are NOT allowed off leash in these areas.

It's the same argument shooters, fishers, mountain bikers, 4WD owners and toddlers use: it's yours, therefore it's mine.

Oh, but if it's broken, it's yours.
************************************************** To view the austechwriter archives, go towww.freelists.org/archives/ austechwriter To unsubscribe, send a message to austechwriter-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "unsubscribe" in the Subject field (without quotes). To manage your subscription (e.g., set and unset DIGEST and VACATION modes) go to www.freelists.org/list/austechwriter To contact the list administrator, send a message toaustechwriter-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx **************************************************