atw: Re: How to Have a Rational Discussion

  • From: Janice Gelb <janice.gelb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 13:14:37 +1000

 On 04/29/11 11:35, Robert Levy wrote:
Though, having said that, I certainly do appreciate the sentiment. How many arguments go around in circles because of the failure of one person to follow most of those guidelines? Those conversations are pointless and frustrating.

I especially find it frustrating when someone brings up talking points that they KNOW aren't valid, but they hope that you don't know they aren't. They want to score a point or two, and don't care how. That mainly happens in political discussions. Harumph.

I find this behavior annoying but it's a subset of the behavior
I find most annoying, which is covered in Rule 3 on the chart:
someone makes a statement, you refute it with incontrovertible
evidence to the contrary, and then that person completely
ignores your response and proceeds to present some totally
other argument, then rinse and repeat. Incredibly annoying
and makes the discussion pointless, not to mention
wasting one's time finding and providing the actual facts.

Janice Gelb                         | The only connection Oracle has with
janice.gelb@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:janice.gelb@xxxxxxxxxx> | this message is the return address