atw: Re: Extra spacing after full stop (O.T.)

  • From: "Christine Kent" <christine_kent@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:43:07 +1100

CK is really just brain-plugged in to a machine, like on Total Recall …only
nobody has told her yet.
(Just quietly, she's strapped in down in the storeroom of a basement car
park in Flinders Lane, Melbourne as part of an experiment we did at a recent
ASTC Vic meeting.)

Yeh, my astral travelling skills are getting really good, and Bridport is
full of empty holiday houses, so it is not hard to find somewhere to haunt.

You can tell because she thinks that Word 2007 is flawless and fast.  Ask
any laptop owner about the ten minutes it takes to start up, let alone work
and you'll see that our dear colleague is living a Microsloth-induced
fantasy.

I work full time on a laptop – this one is 18 months old.  Word 2007 is fun
and fast to work with.  Never said it was flawless, but it is pretty good!
Remember I am writing training for it, and using it as a desktop publishing
program to write that training with, so I am pushing it pretty hard.  A few
new functions are a bit wobbly, and bullets and numbering are the same
disaster zone they have always been, but overall it is pretty good, with
some lovely new design features.

I would recommend that everyone on 2003 upgrade to 2007 on XP, with which it
is, in my experience, totally compatible.

Sort of The Gatestrix for tech riders.   (Be she thinks Vista works just
fine too.)

Guess that should have been “bet”.  Well, I think Vista is a beautiful idea.
Just a pity it doesn’t work.  I have it on a partition on my brand new
laptop, as I have to write some  training for it.  It is gorgeous to look
at, and is vastly more user friendly than any previous Windows version.  It
has a luxurious, sexy feel about it.  But … and there is always a but … my
best guess is that daddy gates has made every other driver incompatible to
force users to use their inbuilt “features”, or at least drivers from
companies that have paid to be “compatible”.  Everything Microsoft I loaded
onto Vista worked just fine.  Everything non Microsoft I loaded caused all
sorts of crashes.  And it is oh so slow!

I had to send the computer back to the vendor for other reasons, so when I
get it back, returned to its pristine condition, I am going to experiment
with using ONLY Microsoft drivers so see firstly if that is possible, and
secondly if it resolves all the crash problems.  My recommendation – stay
away from Vista for a while, but keep watching for patches or upgrades,
because it will be VERY nice if/when it is sorted out.

Ck (aka dicky knee)

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
8:23 PM