atw: Re: Book wanted

  • From: tpdhome@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 12:35:18 +0900

When I was at uni, I borrowed a "book" that was 3 or 4 A4 pages, folded and stapled in the middle. I returned it along with several other books through the after hours slot. A few weeks later, I got a demand asking for the overdue "book" or $80 in lieu.

I questioned the value and they said they have eliminated a lot of paperwork by just charging the same average amount for all missing books. Reluctant to fork out so much for a few pages, I searched the shelves and found the missing "book" had lodged itself--untidily, mind you--in one of the others I had returned.

I did think, however, their new process could be a cheap way of getting all those expensive books I wanted for $80 each. Just a thought that was never implemented. I reckon after book four or five, they'd change their policy.

Cheers,
Terry

Quoting Hedley Finger <hfinger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Stephen:

And yes, the price of Quirk's grammatical and linguistic works seem to be, how should I put it, almost beyond comprehension.

Even $160 for a work that has been out of print for ages seems high,
but I suppose it does have 1800 pages, if you like that sort of thing.
In any case, it has been superseded by another more recent work.

For excessive pricing, try looking up //Indexing, the art of// by
Gilfred Norman Knight.  On some so-called used-books sites it has been
priced at around $400!  Still, if the typography of a book has been
designed by a prime minister of England (Harold Macmillan), I suppose
you have to expect to pay.

Regards,
Hedley

--

Hedley Finger

28 Regent Street   Camberwell VIC 3124   Australia
Tel. +61 3 9809 1229   Fax. (call phone first)
Mob. (cell) +61 412 461 558
Email. "Hedley Finger" <hfinger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>