atw: Re: Australian technical English

  • From: Stuart Burnfield <sburnf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:46:47 +0800

Hi Nicole -

There's the Australian Government Publishing Service
'Style manual for authors, editors and printers'. It's our
equivalent of Chicago (the Manual of Style, not the city or
the musical).

The fifth edition (1994) is available online at:
http://www.agimo.gov.au/information/publishing/style_manual
I don't think the sixth edition (2002) is available online.

Some other style resources are listed at:
http://www.agimo.gov.au/information/publishing

The Cambridge Australian English style guide.
by Pam Peters
Published by Cambridge ; Melbourne : Cambridge University Press, 1995

   "Pam Peters is a scholar and trained linguist who writes with
   authority, a great deal of style, and considerable humour.
   Her principles of style guidance are founded on descriptive
   accounts of actual language drawn from a wide variety of
   sources. I often find myself reading onwards through the
   entries, long after I have checked the word I was seeking
   guidance upon, for sheer pleasure."

The Australian Antarctic Division has a list of style references at:
http://www.aad.gov.au/default.asp?casid=14760

There don't seem to be any particularly Australian style
references for science and technology, which isn't so surprising
as scientific and technical publishing is an international
endeavour.

Hope this helps. May I ask what this research is for?

Regards
---
Stuart Burnfield
Information Developer