atw: Re: Accreditation - non Sydney based technical communicators

  • From: "Michael Granat" <mgranat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:45:00 +1000

In a way, it is nation wide, Ana.

The state based societies have similar aims and objectives.

The Australian Society for Technical Communication, Victoria Inc. is
happy to have interstate and overseas members.
<http://www.astcvic.org.au/>

I'm sure that the ASTC (NSW) would be happy to oblige also.
<http://www.astcnsw.org.au/>

As I'm sure would the ASTC (Qld).
<http://www.userdox.com/astcq/index.html>

Note that all of the above are called Australian Society... and,
although being state based, often have a national focus in terms of
improving the national and international reputation of our profession.

There is, after all, also our own national chapter of a US based
international society, the Aussie STC chapter
<http://www.stc-aus.org.au/>
which it is great to have, as it was an absolute pain being "unaffiliated=
"
for the decade that I was an STC USA member.

Most of the Aussie STC chapter members whom I know of are also
heavily involved in and come from the state based societies.

It is well worth joining and supporting the Aussie STC chapter, which
provides some worthwhile publications to its members, but do consider
that the Aussie dollar cost of the US dollar fees floats with the
exchange rate.  (Although, membership of any or all of the above
should be tax deductible, if that helps you.)

Also, remember that our population is a tenth that of the continental
United States, within much the same amount of land, so we are far more
widely dispersed, when heading from one major population centre to
another, with far less members to support the national effort.

Distance and the focus on regional needs have always stood in the way
of amalgamation, which has long been a thorny issue.

Cooperation, rather than amalgamation being the outcome.

Such cooperation and a focus on common goals being ways to provide a
national approach, without forgetting more local, state and territory
requirements.

My advice?  Join your local state or territory based society and, if
you can also afford it, the Aussie STC chapter.

For the time being, apart from also joining the Australian Journalists'
Association section of the Media Entertainment & Arts Alliance
<http://www.alliance.org.au/> union (which, in my 13 years experience
of it, is far more a highly supportive professional association than a
typical "union" but with many tangible and invaluable benefits that only
a union can provide) that's about it.

HTH.

Michael

Michael E. Granat
T/as Write Ideas
Technical Communicator
Without Prejudice. E&OE.

"I have made this letter longer than usual, only because I have not had
the time to make it shorter." - Blaise Pascal