atw: Hello, a 3D graphic software question for people.

  • From: "Warren Lewington" <wjlewington@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:38:48 +1000

As many of you know, I do a fair amount of technical illustration. I do some
isometric diagrams. I have recently decided I am a bit 'over' drawing
isometric diagrams myself - it is a bit uneconomic, although I don't mind
doing them, I really enjoy it. either

I do them in a variety of software, using Corel draw or Visio from scratch
or AutoCAD source files and modifying them to suit document/manual
requirements in Visio, Corel and Illustrator. They are all a bit fiddly -
although Corel is still a joy to use compared to the other two.

To that end I have had a bit of a prowl around and have thought seriously
about Corel Designer, or another couple of software packages available at
much less cost (names escape me - defer to my age I guess). Does anyone have
an opinion about any "3D" illustration packages (not including the huge
price-tag items like Inventor and that ilk - which I would purchase if I was
design engineering for a living).

At the end of the day I need the occasional graphic of a spanner/hand tool,
nuts, bolts, screws and the like, brackets, and other mechanical items -
even extending to gears or such. Maybe the ability to illustrate electronic
boxes and containers of various types - like cars, buckets or drums, would
be handy too. But not regularly, you know, once a fortnight or so and much
less sometimes. Having the software to cobble together the bits would make
life a little more efficient and easier..

In particular, if anyone can offer experience about using their
recommendations that would help me immensely.

If anyone can offer the names of some software packages, my budget would be
around the $700.00 region or less, as Corel Designer upgrades (which I am
eligible for) are about that price. I cannot afford or do I need to purchase
any of the AutoCAD style engineering design software, however, having the
software directly compatible with that software vector graphics would be a
huge BONUS -I would pay more for that...

Thanks everyone.

Warren Lewington

WJL Consulting

M: 0408 612 752

P: +612 9876 5345

F: By arrangement

PO Box 404

Liverpool, NSW

Australia

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential. It is only
intended for the recipient/s named above. If you are not the intended or one
of the intended recipient/s, any unauthorised use is prohibited. If you have
received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender so that arrangements
can be made for its retrieval or destruction.