atw: Employment Posting

  • From: Susan Minihane <sminihane@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 12:48:48 +1000

Technical Writer, Software Engineering - Sydney

*This position is based in Sydney, Australia.*
The area: Engineering, Technical Writing

Technical writers take complex technical information and communicate it in a
lucid, concise and accurate manner. Our responsibilities include writing
documentation for internal and external developers, for operations, and for
applications that are used internally. We look for talented writers who are
passionate about writing, quick to learn, highly technical and eager to
become part of the engineering and operations teams.
The role: Technical Writer, Software Engineering

You will work with Sydney's engineering team to create external developer
documentation. You should have good programming experience, especially of
APIs, and be familiar with writing documentation for an external audience.
Ability to work with and interact with a team of professionals to understand
internal systems is necessary. Technical Writers have a balance of
experience in computer science and in writing of a technical nature. Writers
also have a proven ability to explain complex topics. A passion for software
development and for learning (and explaining) topics on the cutting edge is
greatly desired.

There is no set job function that describes being a technical writer at
Google. You are smart and curious, write well, and understand programming.
Candidates with liberal arts degrees who know how to program and candidates
with computer science degrees who know how to write will be considered
equally. Our team writes and maintains external documentation for software
developers. You will work within a team of experienced writers, but will
need to work effectively with an engineering team as a key member. All
levels of experience are being considered at this time.
Responsibilities:

   - Create external developer documentation.
   - Work closely with Software Engineering and Product Management.
   - Learn and explain topics on the cutting edge of technology.

Requirements:

   - BS/MS or commensurate experience in computer science and/or a
   discipline including writing of a technical nature.
   - Experience in applied computer science, web technologies, web design,
   and/or technical writing.
   - Excellent HTML and CSS knowledge.
   - Ability to read and understand code in programming languages such as
   Java, C, C++, Python, and/or JavaScript.
   - Excellent and proven writing skills.
   - Interpersonal skills to form good working relationships with software
   developers, writers, developer-support individuals, and product managers.

*To all recruitment agencies:* Google does not accept agency resumes. Please
do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other
company location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to
unsolicited resumes.

Google is an equal opportunity employer. Employment here is based solely
upon one's individual merit and qualifications directly related to
professional competence. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, color,
religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy status, sex, age, marital
status, disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, gender identity,
or any other characteristics protected by law.

--
Susan Minihane
GOOGLE