atw: Cell padding in Excel

  • From: "bja" <moo-man@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 08:42:06 +1100

Hi Guys.

I was playing with Excel 2003 today and while cutting and pasting some text,
I noted one of the cells actually had some cell padding. This was aberrant
behaviour as there was nothing special about the information in that
particular cell.

After exploring font, cell formatting, height etc and then going online to
see if MS had actually added this long sought after feature (which it
hadn't), I then looked at the character count (yes I was bored at the
time:)) and it turned out that you CAN actually add padding to a cell by
restricting the number of characters in the cell to between 250 and 256
characters and then using vertical centre.

I cannot imaging anyone doing this because it's far easier just using
<Alt><Enter> at the end of the paragraph or dragging the row footer but its
interesting to know.

I couldn't find any reference to this online so I guess it must be a 'bug'.
Pity the MS developers cannot expand the 'bug' to be an everyday feature for
cells/rows regardless of character count.

Cheers,

Bruce