atw: Asking for referees, voting, and showing examples

  • From: "Garry Stevens, Technical writer & trainer" <gstevens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 16:20:37 +1000

Hi All:

First up, section 245 of the Cmwth Electoral says:

"(1) It shall be the duty of every elector to vote at each election."

Can't get any clearer than that. I know some people get into a froth about compulsory voting, but I think it's fine and dandy: it is not only a right, but a duty; just like jury duty. Personally, I think if you are too dim or indifferent to vote, you should immediately lose the right to criticise the government until the next election. I don't want to hear one damn peep out of you until you start acting like a responsible adult, instead of a whiny child who objects to attending a sausage sizzle every few years.

Where was I? Ah yes. The comments on soft copy examples: I agree with most that only paper examples should be shown to the client. I suppose the issue could be defused (or maybe inflamed) if the client asks for electronic versions with the question "So if I get the job, you'd be happy for me to show all your documents to complete strangers after I've left, right?"

The issue of referees is another common one that keeps coming up. I recently saw a job spec (I won't mention the government client, since I don't want to embarass DEEWR) that demanded names and contacts for referees. This wasn't l the agent asking, mind, but the actual client.

My own attitude is to supply that information only after interview and getting the gig. What's your practice? Garry