atw: Advice on upgrading to Word 2007

  • From: "Stuart Burnfield" <slb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 10:24:23 +0900

Hi all -

(Long story short) I need to upgrade the Sharepoint component of MS
Office from 2003 to 2007. Strictly speaking there's no hurry to
upgrade the rest of Office, but for boring licensing reasons it would
be a lot easier to upgrade everything at once.

I've been doing a lot of work on Word documents and templates. These
are used by other people who have Word 2003.

1. I'm aware that there are major UI changes in Word 2007. I hear the
new UI is actually pretty good but takes some getting used to. How
long is it likely to take to get back up to speed--couple of days?
weeks?

2. Are the changes mainly in the upfront stuff such as toolbars? I
spend most of my time in Styles and Formatting, Table Properties,
etc. Are these behind-the-scenes dialog boxes much the same?

3. I believe the file format has changed. How much of a headache
would it be for me to work in Word 2007 and distribute the documents
and templates in 2003 format? Do I just have to remember to Save As
every time, or can I make the 2003-compatible format the default?

4. Anything else I need to be aware of?

Thanks

Stuart