atw: Accreditation

  • From: Sue Woolley <sue.woolley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:47:39 +1000

Hello austechies,

The study that the ASTC (Vic) are doing on accreditation is simply that, a
study. A student from Swinburne is doing a 3 month internship with us to
look at the issue. She will survey technical communicators in Australia to
research some of the issues that are currently being discussed in this
forum. For example:

- Do we want accreditation?
- Will it benefit us as professionals?
- How will it work, who will administer it?
and much more.

If you are patient, you can all have your say shortly when the survey is
released!

Basically, we at the ASTC Vic wanted to know what people thought about the
whole process after Allan Charlton's accreditation proposal was made public
about three months ago. Swinburne University have been very supportive of
the ASTC (Vic) ever since we collaborated on their post grad technical
communication courses, so we approached them for advice as to how we could
explore the issue in an organised, scientific fashion. We wanted to be able
to quantify what people were thinking, so that we could proceed (or not!)
in accordance with the wishes of our members.

The Swinburne people then suggested we get other technical writing groups
to participate, as they weren't confident that they could draw
statistically valid conclusions from the relatively small sample that is
the ASTC (Vic) membership. Andrea Tappe wrote to the appropriate people,
and got their in-principle support (provided that we released the data to
them, which was always our
intention - there is no point in doing something like this unless the data
is shared!).

Once we have some data, we can decide what to do. It's entirely possible
that the project will go no  further because our members think it's a bad
idea. We may put Allan's accreditation process into place for ASTC (Vic)
members, or we may find another, better model. We may discuss our findings
with other ASTC groups and TCANZ, and jointly develop and administer a
scheme.

ASTC (Vic) will not try to take over the whole process. We have not polled
our members yet as we wanted to have the study and research methods in
place. We are not trying to hide anything from members, it is simply that
these sorts of issues take a long time to evolve.

This study will build on all the work the Westies group have done. Again
I'd like to thank them for their initiative and all their hard work.

Regards,

Sue Woolley
President, ASTC (Vic)