[audubon-news] Audubon Statement on Administration Proposal to Weaken the Forest Roadless Rule

  • From: "BIANCHI, John" <JBIANCHI@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 15:51:08 -0400

Contact: Perry Plumart
202/861-2242
pplumart@xxxxxxxxxxx

AUDUBON'S BOB PERCIASEPE STATEMENT ON THE
ADMINISTRATION'S PROPOSAL TO WEAKEN THE ROADLESS RULE

Senior VP Public Policy Calls it a "Policy Based on What's Good for the Timber
Industry"

Washington, DC, June 12, 2003 - "The Administration has taken a Paul
Bunyan-sized ax to the National Roadless Area Conservation Rule.  The
Administration is stripping away protections for the Tongass and Chugach
Forests in Alaska and allowing states to apply for exemptions from the roadless
rule.  The clear intent of this policy is increased timber cutting and
increased road building.  This is not a policy based on what is good for birds
and other wildlife: it's a policy based on what's good for the timber industry.

"The Administration is handing over to the special interests some of the most
intact old-growth temperate rainforest left in the world by opening up the
Tongass and Chugach to logging and development.  These pristine forests provide
irreplaceable habitat for bald eagles, grizzly bears and wild salmon.

"I urge Audubon members and our friends to fight the changes to the National
Roadless Area Conservation Rule.  The implementation of the rule had more
Americans commenting on it and supporting it than any other federal rule in
history.  We will not let this success be overturned.  We will fight the
weakening of the roadless rule and work to preserve these wild places for
birds, wildlife, and all Americans."

Audubon is dedicated to protecting birds and other wildlife and the habitat
that supports them.  Our national network of community-based nature centers and
chapters, scientific and educational programs, and advocacy on behalf of areas
sustaining important bird populations, engage millions of people of all ages
and backgrounds in positive conservation experiences.

#   #   #

You are subscribed to Audubon-News. To unsubscribe, send email to
audubon-news-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field. To
adjust other settings (vacation, digest, etc.) please visit,
//www.freelists.org/list/audubon-news.