[audacity4blind] Saving in .mp3 format

  • From: "David R. Sky" <davidsky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 00:01:40 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Randy,

check out the following website:

Linkname: Audacity: How do I download and install the LAME MP3 encoder?

You need to install that Lame mp3 encoder - it's a separate file from Audacity due to licensing issues.

Once you've installed the Lame encoder per the directions on the above site, and have recorded your file, open the file menu alt+f, tab down to something like "export as mp3...". Click on that and fill in the different edit fields. the first time you do this, you may be questioned for the location of the Lame encoder - you'll need to fill in this information. (It's been so long that I've done this installation and first-time use that I'm a bit foggy on the details - if you get stuck, please give _specific_ feedback about any prompts or problems you might have.)

You don't need to do anything special to open an mp3 file in Audacity, you don't even need the Lame encoder installed to do this. Simply open the file control+o then the path and filename. Depending on the size of the file and speed of your computer, it may take several seconds to load.

One other thing regarding saving in mp3 format - the so-called "bit rate" setting, which you set in preferences. The larger the bit rate, the higher the quality of the mp3 file saved (which also means the file size is larger). I'll check which control tab in preferences you set the bit rate, I'll write this in my next post.

David

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006, Randy Tijerina wrote:

now, how do i save a fiel that i recorded, for example. as an mp3 file. randy.