[astcq-discuss] The relative importance of grammar

  • From: Jean Hollis Weber <jean@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: astcq-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 20:44:27 +1000

Christine wrote:
>The tech writers bible is the AGPS Style Manual (Australian Government
>Printing
>Service I think).

The latest edition doesn't have "AGPS" in its name any more. It's "Style
Manual: for Authors, Editors and Printers", 6th edition, Australia, 2001,
ISBN 0701636483; I don't recall the official publisher.

>My personal opinion, structure is much more important than grammar.

I agree, though I distinguish between "essential" grammar (necessary for
clear, unambiguous communication) and "non-essential" grammar (all sorts of
stuff that doesn't get in the way of communication even if some people
think it's technically "wrong"). I go into this in some detail in my paper
"Escape from the grammar trap", http://www.JeanWeber.com/about/grammartrap.htm

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
jean@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
The Technical Editors' Eyrie  http://www.jeanweber.com/

To search the astcq-discuss archives, visit
//www.freelists.org/archives/astcq-discuss/

To change your settings using the web interface, login at
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi/

astcq-discuss-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx