[astcq-discuss] Re: The future of meetings

  • From: "Brian O'Sullivan" <cinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <astcq-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 12:35:09 +1000

Hi all,

I haven't been active at all on this list in 2004. This is mainly due to
other interests and commitments taking up my time. So here are my thoughts:

I'm not particularly interested in attending courses. However, I am
interested in seeing how other writers go about their work. Most of us in
Qld work in a professional vacuum, rarely getting the opportunity to learn
from others. This is one of the reasons I tracked down this group last year.
It would be handy if we could list our skill sets somewhere so others could
ask questions if they find themselves attempting an area they have little
prior experience in. For example, a lot of what I do finishes up in printed
manuals. As such I have LOTS of experience with  printers, pre-press
requirements, colour management, methods of printing depending on end use,
costing print runs, page layout for maximum comprehension, etc. On the other
hand I do very little on-line documentation. I know the basics but have
little experience in some of the different tools out there. One day I'll get
asked to do it!

Another key goal in my opinion should be promoting the profession. As I have
mention in earlier posts every company I have written for had never used a
technical writer before me. In every case the existing documentation was
frightening! I work in the high voltage electrical engineering field and
having an incorrect manual can mean someone dies and the company is liable.
I am constantly surprised at the amount of experienced engineers I have met
over the years who have never come across a technical writer before, and
then ask me what exactly it is I do. This may be a peculiarity to Qld R&D
organisations but I suspect the electrical/electronics industry is ripe
pickens for writers if only these companies realised such a thing existed!

The only problem with all this is organisation - someone has to commit the
time and that is very difficult for most of us.

Nice to see the list is still active!

Regards,

Brian O'Sullivan