Re: [artworks] Intersect problem

  • From: Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 11:43:47 +0100

In article <1934cba94f.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Martin Wuerthner
<lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <1b32bda94f.tigger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Nick
>           Roberts <tigger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

> > I've then used "Put to back" on the rectangle, and moved the
> > circle so all of the bottom 3/4 of the circle is over the
> > rectangle.

> > I've then selected the rectangle and the circle and used
> > "Intersect all".

> In your scenario there is no circle to select. Do you mean the
> group?

I took it that he meant the group (circle and radiating lines).

> > At this point I get an hourglass, that stays there until I run
> > out of patience and hit alt-break to kill Artworks.

> I think this is a bug, but if it worked it would probably not give
> you what you wanted anyway. You will find that in the vast
> majority of cases you really want to use "Intersect with top". If
> you move the object to which you want to clip the rest to the
> front first and then use that option instead you should find that
> it works as expected.

Spot on Martin as always - works a treat. The secret is to ensure that
the grouped circle is below the rectangle before using "Intersect with
top". I hope Nick doesn't mind me answering this but I occasionally
use this very powerful tool. Conceptually it is not the easiest tool
to understand - it is worth putting in some time to learn how to use
it properly. Refer to the Intersect tutorial which contained some
excellent examples.

Just a thought - what about an error message saying........ Use
"'Intersect with top'. You may have to reverse the object order" or
some such message. No perhaps not - the extra time required to program
a message only a few users would need might be better spent on
incorporating other things.

> "Intersect all", not surprisingly, intersects each object with each
> other object, so you are only left with the area jointly covered
> by all objects. That does not make sense if lines are involved
> because they have no area and therefore, lines are usually ignored
> with "Intersect all". That does not seem to work if the lines are
> hidden in a group though.

Regards

Richard