Re: [artworks] Ideas for new version

  • From: Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 13:41:08 GMT

In message of 12 Jan, Steve Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10 Jan, Tim Powys-Lybbe wrote in message
>   <1b7906a34e.tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> > In message of 10 Jan, Gavin Crawford <gav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > I don't feel that multipage handling is particularly an important
> > > feature, as any ArtWorks document can be imported into Impression or
> > > Ovation Pro to create a multipage layout.
> >
> > My use for multipage documents is to create multipage PDF files.  OPro
> > does not have its own PDF export facility so I rely on PrintPDF with
> > GView.  I gather that the ArtWorks PDF generating facility is inherently
> > superior to the GView one.  So I am thoroughly in favour of multipage
> > layouts in ArtWorks.
>
> I would imagine that you could tack multiple ArtWorks-generated PDFs
> together using the Ghostscript tools; given that PDF->PS->PDF is always
> vector, I'd hope there would be no loss of quality.

You have a slight positive advantage over me: you wrote the super
PrintPDF application which I use almost daily and several times on some
days.  I would be delighted to see a PrintLotsPDF which handled a
directory of files and put them together in one big PDF file.  Meanwhile
I do much the same thing with OPro.

But what I do not know about is the relative quality of PDF creation
between ArWorks and Ghostscript.  I have certainly got the impression
that the Artworks to PDF conversion is superior; do you suppose this is
correct?

> > > But if ArtWorks does receive multipage capabilities I would NOT want
> > > to see it done as scrollable pages in one view as the ability to use
> > > the scroll bars to navigate around one page becomes more difficult
> > > when the vertical scrollbar becomes small and it's sensitivity in
> > > relation to the page increases.
> >
> > I could live without scroll bars to go from page to page; I am used to
> > this with the RISC OS PDF viewer.
>
> The RISC OS PDF viewer has scroll bars, doesn't it?

Let's put in the exclamation mark first: I am referring to !PDF as
currently maintained by Colin Granville.  This does not use scroll bars
in the way that OPro uses them where you can see the join between pages
and, even, many pages on the viewing window; you then use the scroll
bars to move up and down to the page(s) you want to see.  !PDF on the
other hand just gives you one page at a time; you do get scroll bars if
yoru window is smaller than the page being viewed, so that you can
scroll to any part of the one page.  But !PDF does not give you the
facility to scroll across the page boundaries; the slider bar at the top
is just a mean of moving from one page to another.

Or were you meaning something different?

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe                                          tim@xxxxxxxxx
             For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/