Re: [artworks] ArtWorks and RPCEmu

  • From: Jim Lesurf <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 14:36:58 +0100

On 12 Apr, jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> In article <491e7d0651.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Martin Wuerthner
> <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > In message <5106640df5jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Jim Lesurf
> >           <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Can now update the previous and report some success.  :-)

> I will now try the more modern version I have that runs on my Iyonix,
> then report how I get on. I presume this means I'll have to also
> transfer some newer modules, etc.

I've experimented and found that ArtWorks2 (2.06) as used on my Iyonix
doesn't have the "O_RunImage" oddity. And pleased to say that I can now get
both 2.06 and 1.7 to run on RPCEmu on my new laptop.

The key is to put them on the 'IDE disc' which actually uses an ADFS format
image in a file. From there they will respond correctly to being run. I
then get a fully usable AW.

So on my new laptop both versions will run if placed on an ADFS filing
system, but not if held on hostfs and accessed via emufs.

Yet on my old laptop AW runs OK if held in hostfs. No need there to put it
on the ADFS imaged 'drive'.

So there is still a puzzling inconsistency between the two laptops, but it
doesn't now prevent use of AW (1.x or 2.x) on the new one.

This does seem to be some sort of problem with file naming translations,
but there must be a significant difference between the two linux systems
that I haven't identified. And curious that the other apps I've tried are
fine on both regardless.

The old machine uses Crunchbang/Openbox/ROX/ext3 and the new one
Xubuntu/xfce/ROX/ext3 and both are obviously Debian/Ubuntu. So I am puzzled
but happy at this point. I'll report it on the rpcemu list in case anyone
there can make sense of it and perhaps devise a fix.

Slainte,

Jim