[AR] public comment (was Re: H2O2 from Sodium Carbonate Peroxide...)

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2016 14:47:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 10 Sep 2016, Peter Fairbrother wrote:

[1] at some point proposed laws are usually sent out for public comment to potentially interested parties... in practice, I have never seen a publicly suggested change of any sort actually happen for an EU proposal, and almost never for a UK proposal.

On this side of the pond, based on limited watching of the regulatory process, my impression is that once in a while a proposal will be dropped because of concerted opposition or somebody pointing out a disastrous flaw, and sometimes minor tweaks (adjustments to numbers, etc.) will be made based on comments, but substantial changes based on public comment are rare.

By the time a draft goes out for public comment, it has a lot of inertia. To actually affect the shape of new rules, you have to get input into the process much earlier. Sometimes there are organized channels for this, e.g. industry consultative groups; sometimes it's informal and ad-hoc. Either way, you have to be pro-active, investing time and effort in making connections to the people who write the rules; waiting for them to come to you does not work.

(This is one reason why the rules so often seem to be stacked in favor of large companies: they're the ones who can dedicate people to this easily. Smaller outfits often have trouble finding the resources for it, or don't think it's important enough.)

The same comments apply to consensus standards processes (and here I have had some inside experience): actually participating in the process is a lot of work but also gives much more leverage. Standards groups are more receptive to final-draft comments -- typically they are *required* to pay attention to all inputs, if they want to avoid problems with anti-trust laws, whereas the government has less incentive -- but even there, the later you get involved, the poorer your chances.