[AR] Re: bipropellant torch igniter

  • From: "John Dom" <johndom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 13:34:07 +0200

Thanks_was helpful.

jd

From: arocket-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:arocket-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Lloyd Droppers
Sent: maandag 20 juli 2015 23:41
To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [AR] Re: bipropellant torch igniter

When I worked at Purdue we lit quite a number of ~1000 lbf engines with a
version of that igniter. The Repas igniter was designed for lighting various
engines in a test cell so it would not have been used on an operational engine.
You can tell it is not for an operational engine because it is quite beefy,
only uses 1 spark plug, and uses standard threaded boss fittings for the
Hydrogen and Oxygen rather than brazed or welded.

Various gas/gas torches have been used on operational engines, they are usually
called Augmented Spark Igniters in the US. A good example of this is the J-2 as
your can see on this link.

http://heroicrelics.org/info/j-2/augmented-spark-igniter.html

Lloyd

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 2:16 AM, John Dom <johndom@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19940022921.pdf

Does anybody know of any operational bipropellant motor inside which the above
GH2/GOX torch igniter was used? Does anybody have experience with it?

BTW, SSME used no torches but 6 sparkers (sort of spark plugs) inside each
chamber and probably more sparkers on the pad.

jd