[AR] Re: SpaceX (was Re: arocket Digest V4 #217)

  • From: "Jake Anderson" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "jake" for DMARC)
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2016 07:49:19 +1000

On 12/09/16 06:36, Henry Spencer wrote:

On Sun, 11 Sep 2016, Keith Henson wrote:
I wonder what the loading sequence is? The thermal stress would be
awful on a sphere where half was a room temperature and the other half
was at LOX temp.

The usual sequence for helium bottles inside cryo tanks is to load the helium last and unload it first. Most materials get stronger at low temperatures, and of course gases are denser when cold, so you can get a lot more helium in if you fill cold bottles with cold helium.

Henry

Still an already brittle composite is going to get more brittle at cryo temps.

It looks like it goes from nothing to about 1.5x the diameter of the rocket in 1 frame (at 60fps) then it seems to be just fuel + oxidiser burning to me.

Weather its those specific tanks or something else my money is on something small and high pressure letting go.