[AR] Re: Semiconductor cryo level sensing

  • From: Pierce Nichols <piercenichols@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 17:54:18 -0700

Is that self-pressurized N2O? My visualization of what Ben is suggesting is
sensing the level in a tank of cryogenic liquid that is being expelled by
relatively warmer pressurization gas.

-p

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 5:50 PM, Henrik Schultz <henrik@xxxxxx> wrote:

Based on experiments with N2O a while back, we found that the temperature
inside a tank with a cooled liquid - in this case not cryogenic in the real
sense, just very cold - did not change a lot between the vapor phase and
the gas phase. Its going to be cold inside the tank no matter what, and the
walls will also work to equalize temperature between your optocouplers. In
a tank made of e.g. aluminum everything is pretty much same low temperature.

For the temperature shift to be noticeable in a short time frame, i.e.
without so much delay that it skews the calculated predictions, the sensors
must obtain heat from somewhere fast. If you think of old air speed
sensors, they deliberately added heat to the sensor by running current
through the sensing wire.

Further, some liquids will be in indeterminable state, notoriously for N2O
which has a soft boundary between liquid and gas phases. Add to this
sloshing, etc. and your optocouplers may not be so accurate after all.

The capacitive sensor has the advantage of being a "straw" which cancels
out some of these effects. We never got to test it, but we had a suspicion
that it would in fact work for N2O at the critical gas-liquid
transformation stage, since the capacitance is a function of the dielectric
constant, and that this would likely correlate to the N2O density in some
function. Capacitive sensors are not hard to make.

My personal afternoon thought would be to measure the acoustic resonance
of the tank. Resonance frequency would be a function of volume, density and
pressure/temperature. Temperature and pressure can be measured accurately,
and density derived from that, leaving free volume to be determined. With
some empirical testing this could conceivably also be made to work in zero
gravity.

Lastly, some people use ultrasonic distance sensing from the top of the
tank down to the surface. There are Arduino kits for this used in robotics,
but they are probably not cryo rated ;-)

/H