[AR] Re: Semiconductor cryo level sensing

  • From: Uwe Klein <uwe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 09:27:04 +0200

Am 15.09.2015 um 02:08 schrieb Ben Brockert:

On Monday, September 14, 2015, Pierce Nichols <piercenichols@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:piercenichols@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Nifty idea! My understanding is that all plain LEDs shift their
wavelength with temperature because the size of the band-gap is
temperature dependent. It seems to me like the same physics would
affect the receive side of the optocoupler as well... so it's not
clear to me that you'd actually get the response to expect.

That would certainly kill it if true. I'll have to get some ln2 and try it.

The optical receptor diodes/transistors in an optocoupler are not narrowband.

If it's a large enough change then you could have a bunch of them in
serial and have basically the same analog sensor as centaur but with a
current change rather than capacitance. Easier to turn into something a
uc reads.

Fuel and gas head have ~ the same temperature.

You'd need heating of the diodes ....

uwe