[AR] Re: Removing coking deposits

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 23:42:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 15 Sep 2016, Robert Watzlavick wrote:

...a few of the holes seem slightly darker than others so I can only assume that is due to coking from the fuel (kerosene). Does anyone have suggestions on how to clean up the holes? I was thinking of chucking up a wire brush in a drill and running it down in the holes but a solvent would be preferable.

I don't think you're going to find a solvent that will simply dissolve classical coking deposits -- my understanding is that they simply aren't soluble in anything reasonable. (Remember, if they're there at all, that means that hot fast-flowing kerosene couldn't dissolve them...)

Something that would *react* with them and not with the passage walls, well, maybe, but I think it would take something pretty aggressive to react with that stuff.

I'd guess you're going to end up doing mechanical removal.