[AR] Removing coking deposits

  • From: Robert Watzlavick <rocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 22:08:40 -0500

I looked closer at my 250 lbf aluminum chamber in preparation for the next series of tests and there may be some coking deposits in the cooling passages. When I shine a light at one end and look through the other end, a few of the holes seem slightly darker than others so I can only assume that is due to coking from the fuel (kerosene). Does anyone have suggestions on how to clean up the holes? I was thinking of chucking up a wire brush in a drill and running it down in the holes but a solvent would be preferable. Or I could just use the original sized drill bit and run it through by hand to try and scrape some of it off. I did come across a patent where you can heat up the engine and run ozone through it to remove the deposits but that doesn't sound like an "at home" project. At Space Access, I recall someone mentioning that Naval Jelly (phosphoric acid?) will work.

The total run time of this engine to date is around 80 seconds.

-Bob