[AR] Re: Magnetic breakaway connector

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2017 17:16:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 25 Mar 2017, Robert Watzlavick wrote:

...I remembered the MagSafe connectors for Apple laptops but I couldn't find anything off the shelf that was: 1) orderable, 2) had enough pins, and 3) was easy to integrate into the skin of a rocket. It doesn't look too complicated so I decided to try making a custom version. I found these Mill-Max spring loaded pins...

There are off-the-shelf "negative insertion force" connectors, from connector suppliers like Positronic Industries -- many-pin connectors which have to be held mated by external forces, and will spring apart if the external force is removed. (They're used in spacecraft-to-launcher umbilicals, for example.) Haven't looked lately at availability and cost, though.

Here are some photos of a prototype I made yesterday.

Cool!