[AR] Re: LRE Test Stand Data Acquisition and Control Best Practices

  • From: Robert Watzlavick <rocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2017 09:03:57 -0600

The data system should be just as reliable as the control system. In the companies I worked for, quality of the data is king, without which there is no purpose for the test. Sure, you don't want to break the test article due to a control system error but all decisions the control system makes are based on data. Whether the control system has its own data sources or shares them with the data system is just a matter of cost. When I used to do structural testing, the larger tests used load cells with two bridge outputs, one for the data system and one for the control system. But the smaller ones just used a single bridge with an integrated data/control system because it was sufficient most of the time.

-Bob

On 01/13/2017 04:35 AM, Uwe Klein wrote:

Am 13.01.2017 um 00:55 schrieb Troy Prideaux:
Yeah, I tend to agree too not that I’ve done much control at all with
rocket motor testing, but surely it would be really beneficial to record
what your control system is seeing directly?

The idea is to not have your control system depend on
your ( complex, limited reliability ) data aquisition and storage system.

You can always store data aquired for the control purpose with
your non essential for control data.

Uwe