[AR] Re: Fast radio bursts as light sail propulsors

  • From: Dave McMillan <skyefire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 16:14:14 -0500

On 3/10/2017 1:46 PM, Henry Vanderbilt wrote:

Consider the possibility of such a civilization that has insufficient tendency toward continuous growth to saturate this galaxy, and/or insufficient interest in places like here to have bothered dropping by during the relatively narrow time-window we might have noticed such.

I think it's worth keeping such possible explanations in mind as we come across various odd cosmological phenomena. Let the evidence rule explanations out (or in), not the lack of evidence...

Heck, it's entirely possible that *we* are the first sentient life in the universe. Some people try to call that "astronomically unlikely," but *someone* had to be first -- given how much (or, rather, *little*) that we know right now about how/when/where/why such life comes into being, that possibility doesn't seem much less likely than us being the last, or in the middle of the pack.
Or the kind of curiousity/greed/paranoia that we assume all sentient life would have (and lead to galaxies swarming with Von Neumann probes) may be exceptionally rare. Or the odds of a sentient species surviving the "gap" between the time it gains the ability to exterminate itself and the time it spreads out enough to make that much harder is depressingly low.
More likely the truth is something we haven't even guessed at yet, and (sadly) we're unlikely to find out in our lifetimes (dangit).