Re: [ARMini-support] Large Fat formatted hard drive

  • From: A Rawnsley <rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 11:24:14 +0100

In message <51e3717188chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Chris Johnson <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is anyone out there successfully using a large FAT formatted hard
> drive with their ARMini? (Is anyone actually out there??)

> I have a 250GB drive fitted internally (as a second drive), accessing
> it via Fat32fs. It can be accessed and used within a short time of
> Boot, but if there is a while before access, the drive appears to
> spin down, and any later attempt to access it results in the drive
> going into a frenzy of clicking and seeking. The only way to stop
> this is to do a hard reset.

It might be possible to use the Fat32FS mount command to remount it,
but it would definately be interesting to format with !Hform (in your
Utilities folder) and see how it behaves as a filecore format disc.
It *will* be slower, but if it solves your problem...

Essentially we need to play detective and figure out what the root
cause of your problem is.  It may be the physical drive going to sleep
- unlikely to be OS triggered (in which case there may be manufacturer
tools to disable this when connected by SATA to a real PC), or the USB
adapter (unlikely) or the USB stack/RISC OS.

Andrew

--
R-Comp
22 Robert Moffat, High Legh, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 6PS