Re: [ARMini-support] ARMini vs Iyonix

  • From: TynHau <tide@xxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 22:18:24 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 8 Jun 2012, Nick Roberts wrote:

Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 23:03:11 +0100
From: Nick Roberts <tigger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ARMini-support] ARMini vs Iyonix

Given that my ARMini now has go-faster stripes, courtesy of 5.19 being
able to push the processor to 1GHz, I thought I'd try a little
experiment...

I have an Artworks 2 file that is approx 1.7MB (a world map circa
500BC), with just over 2000 objects. On my Iyonix, this takes about 2
seconds to render (document loaded, full screen, and zooming out, so it
is strictly a test of the redraw rather than anything else).

I copied it across to the ARMini, expecting it to take signicantly less
than that, but it actually takes about 6 seconds, which is
disappointing to say the least[1].

Any idea what the holdup is likely to be? Poor memory bandwidth?
Better graphics processing?

[1] I need to redo the map from scratch using a different projection,
and I've been putting it off because the redraw delays as the current
map was approaching completion were beginning to get in the way. I was
hoping the ARMini could avoid that problem, but I think I'll stay with
the Iyonix.

For completion, I've also tried it on my somewhat aged VRPC laptop
(VRPC-SE, running on a 1.6GHz dual core AMD Turion). That took pretty
much the same as the ARMini (6 secs).

What happens if you copy the file to your RAM drive (e.g. Memphis)?

Patric

GL
---
To alter your preferences or leave the group, visit //www.freelists.org/list/armini-support