[argyllcms] tiffgamut feature request

  • From: Klaus Karcher <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 18:44:34 +0200

Hi Grame,

I come to appreciate the advantages of Argyll's image dependent gamut
mapping capabilities more and more day after day.

There is just one pitfall to consider. I want to explain it with an
example: Imagine one processes a series of portraits, all taken in the
same environment. Most individuals photographed wear clothes in subdued
colors, but some wear very colorful garments. Profiles with image
dependent gamut mapping will probably produce less saturated skin tones
and background colors for the portraits of people with colorful
garments. This could mar the overall impression of the sequence.

There are several workarounds to circumvent this pitfall, but the most
convenient would be to use tiffgamut to calculate the set union of all
gamuts, e.g. with something like
"tiffgamut -s sequence/*.tif sequence.gam".

What do you think about it?

Klaus

--
Klaus Karcher * Eichenallee 18