[argyllcms] Re: colour management and... photo lab

  • From: <m.kaluza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 12:44:18 +0200

Calibration, quality of media and so on is another story.

From color management perespective the major problem is that the minilab
software has automatic, simple sRGB>internal profile LUT conversion, and it's
difficult to turn it off. We can profile the output to softproof the machine's
behavior. We can also use such external profile to convert RGB numbers and
"tweak" the color rendering, but so or so the paper gamut is cutted with sRGB
gamut:
http://members.chello.pl/m.kaluza/qss1.jpg
...and the internal convertion applied by minilab software spoils the tonality
of 8 bit jpeg image.

There's a workaround - when we print from Noritsu printer driver the internal
CMS is inactive, so all we need is to print the target and profile the output
in so called Noritsu NetOrder mode - as a result there's much larger gamut
available (in this case - Kodak Endura Supra Proffessional VC):
http://members.chello.pl/m.kaluza/qss2.jpg
Another advantege is better tonality - we only make one convertion, and we can
convert using 16bit depth to the destination profile, so b&W photos have better
smoother transitions without color casts.

An example - these jpegs are screenshots, so they're in a color space of my NEC
3090WQXi wide gamut display:
an image converted to the "external" profile that's characterisig Noritsu in
QSS mode, where the paper gamut is limited by sRGB gamut:
http://members.chello.pl/m.kaluza/qss4.jpg

same image converted to profile of Noritsu in NetOrder mode:
http://members.chello.pl/m.kaluza/qss3.jpg

The only problem is that printing from Noritsu printer driver is problematic,
and you need some additional software to manage printing of large amount of
images, and the operator must understand the basics of color management (at
least) - so it's not that easy to implement such worflow in real world
practice.

Marcin Kałuża