[argyllcms] Re: Dell U2711 - is it any good?

  • From: János, Tóth F. <janos666@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 14:43:47 +0200

2011/6/22 Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> With the scheme above, all you need is for someone with a spectrometer
> to measure the display, and then everyone else with any colorimeter
> that uses this scheme can use the measurement to create a n accurate
> correction matrix for their particular colorimeter. That reduces the
> scope of the problem considerably.

I have a concern about this method.

So I have the spectral characteristics on my instrument. This is unique and
could be assumed as nearly constant in time. I can measure the spectral
characteristics of the given display and compare it with the curves from the
firmware. This sounds good.

But what if I start to tune the gamut emulation with the internal processor
of the display hardware? The primaries will virtually change every time I
change the hardware settings.
Could it cause any problems?

For example, I start to calibrate the gamut controls on a display with a
colorimeter using the correction matrix. Does the correction matrix becomes
invalid as soon as I adjusted any gamut controls? (So I can't achieve the
target primaries at all...)