[argyllcms] cmyk printer profiles

  • From: Vladimir Gajic <vgajic67@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 11:13:24 +0100

Hello list,

I´m quite new to argyll, so I appologize if any of my questions were
allready diskussed in a previous topic.

I´m trying to calculate a few cmyk profiles. One example is fogra39
(ISOCoated_v2). When I apply a source perceptual profile (in my case a Adobe
RGB witch gives imho the best result) I get very smooth and harmonic
separations with a overall good transition. The only problem: my cyan and
magenta primaries appear very dirty, basically totaly overloaded with
yellow. The profile behavior is similar to commercial profiles I´m used to.
That means that the perceptual and/or relative rendering intents behave
"normal" when used in Photoshop. If I do not specify any source perceptual
profile (-s) something goes badly wrong. My perceptual rendering intend can
only be used if I swich-on the bpc (in Photoshop again). Even than my
separations are bad, the blacks are getting totaly blind.
This leads me to the conclusion that a source perceptual profile have to be
specified. After testing various rgb-profiles for days now, I think that
Adobe RGB issues the best results. Finally my question: Is there a way of
improving the gamut-mapping, especially in cyan and magenta? I use the
roman16 images for my tests.

Kind regards
Vladimir