[argyllcms] Re: Working with a Unique Ink Configuration

  • From: Nikolay Pokhilchenko <nikolay_po@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 11:27:38 +0400

Terry Ritz wrote:

> My K3 prints are good, and Epson has a good ink set. I'm just looking for
> ways to take things to another level.
>
> Epson's K is brown/green so color has to be added to bring it neutral. This
> increases matamerism and impacts longevity (differential fade of the colour
> pigments). Cone Selenium is close to neutral on it's own, so gray areas will
> be more "pure", so to speak.
>
> The Cone monochrome inks are extremely high quality pigments, targeting a
> specialized monochrome printing community. I have a printer dedicated to my
> monochrome work. I run a Selenium set and a set that blends Sepia, Selenium
> and Neutral inks in a beautiful tri-tone. Both consist of seven dilutions.

It's cool. :) It's interesting.

> > The problems may take a place at the transitions between LLK, LK and K if
> > the
> > substitute inks are not exactly the same by density. The printer behavior
> > may
> > be less linear.
>
> If not exact, the densities are very close.

Ok. There likely will be no problem if the inks are chemically compatible.

> > If You print through the Epson driver, You have not an influence on the
> > black
> > generation=color_ink_used, because printer works in "RGB" mode and can not
> > print the black (K) independently.
>
> That is probably the biggest issue. Can I assume however, that with a good
> RGB profile using the Selenium substitute inks, that I will end up with at
> least a smaller amount of colour pigment in neutral print areas?

Yes. I think it can improve the situation. I hope the Epson have a heavy black
generation with LLK and LK.

If You want achieve the printer maximums, You should think about the RIP. The
GutenPrint may be the free solution. Try to check wither Your printer model
supported or not? If yes, You can try to print by CMYK device model with custom
black generation.

> > Argyll can do image-depended device-links to achieve optimal gamut
> > compression

After printer profiling, I recommend You to concern on this feature
(tiffgamut-collink-cctiff).

Best regards,
Nikolay.