[argyllcms] Re: Wanted: Spyder 3 and ColorMunki Beta Testers

  • From: Andrew Asman <andrew.asman@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 00:04:33 -0500

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 11:43 PM, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Rick Richardson wrote:
>
>> Normally, "make install PREFIX=/usr/local" installs in /usr/local/bin,
>> etc.
>>
>> make install PREFIX=/usr
>> make install PREFIX=/usr/local
>> make install PREFIX=.                 e.g. ./bin, ./lib, ./man, etc.
>>
>> PREFIX is ignored completely!.  This is on a  fc9 system!
>>

> Argyll is cross platform, and uses a cross platform build system (Jam),
> so it doesn't necessarily follow specific platform conventions, and tries
> to be self contained for robustness. I've not attempted to add
> all the platform specific things for installation, and in any case
> on many platforms this is the domain of an installer program.
>
> [I'm not even sure where the PREFIX convention is documented, or what
>  it's related to - UNIX ? Linux ? make ? configure ? automake ?. Google
>  didn't return any useful leads. Argyll doesn't use configure or make. ]
>
> Graeme Gill.

It is fairly common when installing linux applications from source to do
something along the lines of "./configure --prefix=<directory>" or "make
install PREFIX=<directory>". Some applications automatically use the PREFIX
environment variable to determine where the installed files should be
placed.

However, I personally prefer for an installation to simply organize the
installed files in the source directory as is done with Argyll. After all,
it is not that difficult to move the contents of the "installed" directories
(bin, lib, man, etc..) wherever you want them (/usr/bin, $HOME/local/bin,
etc..). Additionally, it is straightforward to edit the environment
variables so that it is unnecessary to move the files at all.

There are some problems with installing all of the files into a common
directory. If the name of an executable file changes, then it is possible
that you might have inconsistent versions of the same application. For
example, I believe when Argyll moved to version 1.0 the "profile" command
was renamed to "colprof". If you were unaware of the fact that the file was
renamed then it would be easy to accidentally be using inconsistent versions
of individual Argyll utilities.

Andrew Asman